dinsdag 23 september 2014

Time for graffitty and dyeing cotton

I did not have much time for sewing this week. I couldn't imaging how busy live for a pensioner is: parties, dinners, babysitting, keeping my house clean, helping my daughter in law who is ill. A lot of things keep me away from my sewing machine.



Nooit gedacht dat het leven van een pensionada zo druk kan zijn. Afscheidsfeestje van een collega die ook met pensioen gaat, etentjes, oppassen, mijn eigen huishouden doen en mijn schoondochter helpen die ziek is. Ik kom zo te weinig achter mijn naaimachine.



Other reasons for less time behind the sewing machine are graffitty and fabric dyeing. I go to a workshop fabric dyeing en had a lot to do to buy things and preparing fabrics. As a chemist I am very interested in all the information on the Internet, but I see advices that look very strange to me. For instance why soda-ash? But there is a lot real good information on the Internet. I look forward to go to the workshop and busy collecting bottles and all kind of things.



Andere redenen om minder te naaien zijn graffitty en katoen verven. Ik ga een cursus volgen om mijn eigen lapjes te verven. Ik wil dat gebruiken voor whole clothes quilts. Ik moet een hele stapel spullen en lapjes meenemen naar de cursus. Ik verzamel allemaal potjes flessen. Als chemicus ben ik benieuwd naar de processen achter het verven en wat zin en onzin is van de adviezen die gegeven worden op internet. Hoe zo geen kristalsoda gebruiken en wel soda-ash? Als chemicus snap ik niet waarom. Gelukkig is er veel goede informatie over verven op internet. Ik heb erg veel zin in de cursus!!

My cotton is ready to dye!


Every week I go to an excellent bookshop. I bought coloring books for adults for my husbands sister, who has alzheimer en is coloring whole day. Last week I found coloring books for adults with a lot of patterns for graffitty quilting. I am so busy in my head with graffitty quilting and I draw patterns and lines as soon I sit down. The patterns in the book look like fmq patterns but they are not made with one continuous line. I love to find out what is possible for free motion quilting. One interesting item for instance is the difference in thickness of the lines in the patterns. The difference with zentangle drawings is that most zentangles repeat very small patterns between lines. I sandwiched four small samplers to quilt new patterns and drawings in the evening when my husband is watching baseball or a movie.

Coloring book for adults
In Castricum is een geweldige boekwinkel waar ik elke week kom. Ik kende kleurboeken voor volwassenen, omdat ik die voor de zus van mijn man koop die dement is en de hele dag kleurt. Vorige week vond ik kleurboeken met geweldige patronen voor graffiti. Met quilten uit de vrije hand teken je met een continue lijn en dat heeft beperkingen, die je niet hebt met tekenen op papier. Dus niet alle patronen uit het boek zijn ook geschikt om te quilten. De lijnen zijn niet overal even dik bijvoorbeeld. Het verschil met zentangles is, dat het niet alleen herhalen van kleine patronen tussen lijnen is. Maar veel mensen tekenen zentangels naar eigen inzicht. Zodra ik even ga zitten pak ik daarom pen en papier en het boek en ga patronen uit proberen om ze geschikt te maken voor graffiti quilten. Ik heb vier oefenquiltjes gesandwichd om de patronen te oefenen.

The leaves are worth a try with different colors green on a sampler quilt.
Lovely idea for graffitty on a quilt
Trying patterns in my sketch book
Hopping foot on the machine and have fun in the evening!
I love this multicolor thread.
But despite everything and all the drawing I managed to sew this week. I finished the first graffitty placemats with a mustard yellow binding.

Ondanks alles en het vele tekenen heb ik toch wat genaaid van de week. Mijn eerste graffiti placemats afgebiesd met mosterdgele linnen.

I worked on both WIPs. I do not like to work on my aiming-for accuracy-quilt-along-quilt, but I will prevent the piece to become an UFO. The second WIP is the VW-bus baby wall hanging for my youngest daughter. The green fabrics are her choice and I do not like green. But I like the result and the Family Tree fabric van Moda is adorable. I hope my daughter likes the result too! (She and her husband told no one if the baby is a boy of a girl. But with a VW-bus on the wall, it must be a boy in November!)



Ik heb twee WIP's. De aiming-for accuracy-quilt-along-quilt is gesandwichd en langs de witte lapjes doorgestikt. Van de week moet deze verder gequild worden en afgebiesd. Ik zal blij zijn als de quilt af is en op de logeerbank ligt. De VW-bus baby-wandquilt for mijn jongste dochter schiet lekker op. De groene lapjes zijn haar keus, ik hou niet van groen, maar het wordt mooi. Het Family Tree stofje van Moda is zo leuk dat ik met veel plezier aan de bus werk. Nu maar hopen dat de aanstaande moeder blij is met het resultaat. Mijn dochter en schoonzoon willen niet vertellen of de baby een jongen of meisje wordt, met met zo'n VW-bus aan de muur, moet het wel een jongen worden toch?).


Stitching in the ditch





It is so nice of you stopping by, I love to hear from everyone of you, so please feel free to leave a comment.
If you have a question I will try and respond by e-mail. Please make sure your blogger profile is linked to your e-mail, otherwise I wont be able to e-mail you back.
If you need to reach me feel free to e-mail me: maartjequilt@gmail.com

Thanks so much for reading

Love from Amsterdam, keep quilting

Maartje


24 opmerkingen:

  1. Your multicolored quilting is just amazing!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I love that multi colored quilting...it is just stunning!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Your VW bus looks fun and I know what you mean about how busy it can be after retirement!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Oh my! That graffiti quilting is wonderful! So pretty and colorful! And the VWBus! What a fun project. I have a pattern that I have yet to make - my brother and his son have a collection of VWBuses and I thought a pillow or small wallhanging would be fun for them!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. The grafitti quilting is amazing, great work! Have you looked at Zentangles? They're also a good source of ideas for quilting designs. i think a VW bus could just as easily be for a girl as a boy... I guess we'll have to wait to find out!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Quilting is fabulous especially the colour changes from area to area. The VW is looking really cute!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. OMG! Your quilting is incredible, I'm so jealous!!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. the variegated thread in your quilting looks just amazing on the dark background!

    Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Oh my goodness, look at that quilting! I am in awe! I don't think I would be able to put my dinner plate on those mats - I'd be too busy looking at all the designs :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. The FMQ on the placemats you made in your "spare" time are stunning! I love them. Well done. And I agree, there is never enough time to sew as much as we'd love to.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. You inspire me with your wonderful FMQ! Thank you

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. Thank you for sharing your zentangles that led to the graffiti quilt samples. Fascinating!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. Beautiful work Maartje -- love your quilting scribbles !

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  14. I love that colorful thread!!!! Looks like you are having fun!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  15. Fabulous projects, Maartje! Thanks for sharing at TGIFF Linky Party!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  16. LOVE LOVE LOVE your mats. I want to give this a try on a table runner for my kitchen island. Beautiful work.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  17. Your graffity quilting looks great fun. I am a great believer in doodling to develop new ideas - I have pages and pages of it! Also wonderful to turn your pieces into something that you will use, see and enjoy, rather than just leave them as practice pieces.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  18. Your stitching is amazing!! It makes me want to get out of bed and spend the night sewing instead of sleeping! I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful artwork!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  19. I want to express my gratitude to this writer who writes very well and covers all the information on the topic.
    paintbrush studio fabrics

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen